I never thought that making your own cereal bars was so easy, tasty and healthy until I tried it out by myself! Inspired by friends that actually told me the story that they emptied the supermarket shelf that sold snackbars just for the trip, I ask myself – why not make your own? The online recipes did say it was soooo easy to make. So I tried that out… and viola!
Not difficult, no hassel, healthy, tasty and an absolute favourite! Here it goes…
200g Wholegrain oats (Köllns)
100g Oat pops (or instead use Pumpkin seeds, almonds, etc)
50g Dates (seeded & chopped)
50g dried Figs(chopped)
250g Honey (not the creamy one)
1 tsp. Baking powder
1/2 Lemon juice
- In a big pot mix butter, sugar, honey, lemon under a slow fire. Stir continuosly until is starts to caramalise and gets more brown. Turn down the fire but leave the mass warm. In the meantime, mix all other ingredients thoroughly in a separate bowl. Mix both parties together, making sure that there are no sections which are not covered by the sugar coating.
- Preheat the oven to 150°c
- Immediately transfer the mass now (while still hot) on the baking mould and spread them out evenly. Use another piece of baking paper on top to cover the mass, use a rolling pin to flatten it, making sure that the height is all even. Remove the top paper and bake in the oven for about 30 mins.
- Remove from the oven and leave it for 5 mins to cool down a bit. Before it gets completely cold, cut your cereal bars into the size that you want. And leave it to cool off completely.
- Keep them in an air tight container. This keeps them fresh for a couple of weeks, provided they are not eaten up by then:-)